What do kids do in Inquiry Project classrooms?
In Inquiry Project classrooms, you will observe students investigating scientifically oriented questions and engaging in firsthand investigations. In collaboration with peers, they
- Make predictions (and explain their reasoning)
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data
- Formulate claims from evidence
- Give priority to evidence in responding to questions and proposing explanations
- Propose scientific explanations to explain their findings
Students’ science notebooks are always open and by their side so students can make entries and use them as a reference throughout an investigation. Notebook entries provide a record of ideas, predictions, observations, measurements, drawings, representations, claims, and explanations. Students are encouraged to refer to notebook entries during class discussions when they make meaning of their work.